Last week I got one of *those* emails. You know, the urban legend type that they love to disprove on Mythbusters. This one was about “exploding” water pulled from the microwave. Apparently someone, somewhere was seriously burned when they pulled a container of water out of the microwave and it exploded on their arms, hands and up into their face.
I looked it up on Snopes.com and apparently this can really happen. “True, but rare” the website says. I remember rolling my eyes at the email as I hit the delete key. It was just another one of those hyped up emails to cause people like my mom to worry about. It definitely wasn’t something that anyone I ever knew was going to experience.
I have this nifty microwave steamer for steaming veggies and such in. I decided to steam a baked potato for lunch. I put the water in the bottom, put the little basket in it and placed in the potato and put on the top. I put it in the microwave and hit the “baked potato” button and ate an apple while I waited for the buzzer to go off.
This is when it happened. I picked up that steamer and apparently disrupted the delicate balance of the water and it EXPLODED!!! OUCH!!! Thankfully it had a top on it because I didn’t want to find out how high it would explode. All I know is when all was said and done, the top was on the floor, the water was all over my hands and my fingers feel scalded.
Lesson for the day – if something can go wrong, it probably will. And it’s probably going to happen to me!
Editing to say: I’m really ok. My ring finger on my right hand got the worst of it, but it’s only a little sore and red. Kind of like a mild sunburn. Nothing a little cool lotion doesn’t help.